TYPICAL DAILY SCHEDULE
WHAT TO BRING TO CAMP
• A nutritious lunch and refillable water bottle
• Wearing comfortable clothes appropriate for a variety of creative projects
• Sunscreen applied at home before camp (or we can apply here)
• NO ELECTRONICS, PLEASE
DAILY FARE: What Every Camper Gets
Typical Day @ Camp Iwalewa
At Camp Iwalewa, we encourage the children to explore Oakland's forest treasures and to experience them directly. We're known for being a diverse urban day camp, that offers unique exposure to African arts and ecology. We sing, we dance, we act, we make traditional African instruments... Camp Iwalewa is NOT school!!! Here, campers are challenged and encouraged as they learn from themselves, from the wisdom of the ancestors and from Mother Nature herself. Working individually and in groups, children enjoy ample space to explore their own voices and bio-rhythms, in relation to the flow of nature.
Each day begins with morning circle time, a space where we sing and tell thematic stories that create shared vision and collective spirit. Structured creative projects follow story time. After clean up, we eat lunch, which marks the beginning of more rigorous, outdoor activities. The CAMP day is from 8.30am-3:30pm. Extended Day hours are available from 3:45pm-5:45pm.
• 10% discount for siblings [even cousins, play siblings and neighbors!]
• 10% discount for 3 or more weeks